Wednesday 25 June 2008

Gorsedd of Bards

It was announced today that I am to be received as a member of the Gorsedd of Bards at this year's National Eisteddfod in Cardiff. I was thrilled to receive this honour and look forward to the ceremony in August.

I have decided that my name in the Gorsedd will be Aled Madryn: I was brought up in Saint Madryn's Church, Trawsfynydd; spent time near Garn Fadryn while serving on the Llyn Peninsula and the memory of the first Welsh settlers arriving in Porth Madryn in Patagonia fits with my recent work with migrants and refugees.

For those who understand the Eisteddfod's colour scheme, I'm tickled green as opposed to pink!

5 comments:

Marcus Green said...

Does this mean that next time you phone in work sick, you will be (as they say round these parts) "Bard in bed under the doctor?"

Aled Edwards said...

You have made me bad now - and I don't need any encouragement. I have been thinking of all the doctors I know I could be under. It's not worth thinking about!

commonplace said...

This is very good news indeed. I will try to be there on the day - I like your bardic name as well, knowing the area around Trawsfynydd.

commonplace said...

"commonplace" is Ioan ap Meurig (Llangeler)

JALA said...

Llongyfarchiadau Aled Madryn.
We are delighted that you have been received as a Member of the Gorsedd of Bards.
John,Angela and Lowri