Sunday 4 November 2007

Yet Another Trek

This was really the last full day of our holiday and we spent it well visiting some falls and the third largest canyon in the world. For a while we followed the pioneers of the great trek.

It was a good experience but the heat was a bit much.

The highlight of the day for me was a brief conversation with Christopher our driver over lunch. We spoke about polygamy, the cost of education and health care. I also explained why the people of Wales didn't have to pay for prescriptions.

I now have the easy impressions of a two week tourist. Many, if not the majority in this country are poor. Many work exceedingly hard to give themselves and their children a better life.

Over a fortnight I have been impressed by many things in South Africa. Above all, I have been impressed by its greatest asset - it's people.

This country has a long way to go. I got the impression that it's getting there.


No comments: