Saturday 22 September 2007

He Gave His Seat to Rosa Parks

Today started with a BBC Radio Cymru interview about celebrating 25 years of Cardiff's Hindu community. It will probably be one of the last times for me to wear my Wales CRE Commissioner hat.

The rest of the day was spent helping my niece to settle in her student flat in Cardiff. She's starting her medicine course. I didn't do much though.

I also welcomed some UN harmony runners to the temple of peace during the late afternoon. They had taken part in a harmony run from Carmarthen.

For a while, I watched England beat Samoa in a Cardiff pub. That's OK. Honestly!

The most memorable moment of the day was bumping into a couple of friends in Cardiff's shopping centre. Tom and his wife were shopping. As usual Tom and I talked about public life and politics.

Thinking of good race relations work, Tom described how he had, on one occasion in the US, offered his seat to Rosa Parks during a function. That is awesome.

I closed the day with a really nice visit to the Hindu Temple. Some 8,000 people has called by for the festivities today. I'm looking forward to the boat trip tomorrow.

No comments: