Sunday 5 August 2007

Shooting Welshmen

As if to make up for last Sunday I experienced an over abundance of services today. Some came through the radio as I travelled for three and a half hours from Cardiff to Mold for the Eisteddfod.

For me, the quickest way to travel from south to north Wales is through England. Welshmen have to look out when travelling through Hereford on Sundays. Apparently, according to one prevailing rural myth, it’s still legal for the citizens of Hereford to shoot Welshmen with a bow and arrow while the town garrison is in church.

On arrival, a little late, I enjoyed quite a well planned service around the theme of streams. Contrary to what some may believe about the Eisteddfod no one sought to shoot Englishmen with a bow and arrow or with anything else come to that. I then spent most of the day shooting cups of teas at thirsty Eisteddfod attendees.

I really enjoyed the experience. During the Eisteddfod week, as a first language Welsh speaker, I can begin to imagine what it must be like to belong to a majority.

No comments: